Saturday, December 6, 2008

I'm rocking my baby, and sadly, babies don't keep.

This morning I woke up, made the kids pancakes and sausage and announced “mommy will be busy packing all day, please help watch the baby and stay where I can see you.”
I quickly ate wondering just how long I had before they broke rank and started “helping.”

A half hour later the “help” began. They kept pulling toys out of trash bags begging: “not THIS one mama!” I took they toys back, quickly bagged them up and tossed them into the garage.
*grumble*
By the one hour mark the kids were bored and the baby was starting to fuss.
I kept thinking “If these kids don’t back off I’m never going to get anything done! I’ve been working on this closet for 3 DAYS!”
I turned on the TV and let Elmo babysit the crew while I sold some pictures to a woman who stopped by.
*sigh*
$20 more into the moving fund.
I need every dollar I can get.
The kids were completely restless by now, and little miss ‘super high needs Scarlett’ was fed up with having Layla hold her and was getting hungry.
I'm beginning to feel like a human cow.
I remember this stage from previous children. When you feel like the only reason you baby "loves" you is because of the milk on tap they get 24/7.
If the dog had boobies with milk I'd be bumped.
Actually if the dog had boobies then the closet would be done!
*grumble*

I settled in to nurse the baby and read a bit of BBC. Instead of our general morning chatter I saw a heartbreaking announcement. ..A baby in our birth club has died, the cause of death was SIDS.
The mother woke up in the morning and found her baby cold.

Would I of care about the closet this morning if I had been in her shoes?
Of course not.
Would I of let Scarlett fuss for her mama if I knew today was her last day?
Never.

My priorities are off.

I know that mother would give anything to trade shoes with me today, to have her baby fussing for her attention, I know she would forget the housework and spend the day holding her baby.
Everyone will lose their baby.
There are no exceptions, only variations.
Some die, and that of course is by far the most painful way.
However, every remaining baby, will grow up all too fast.
You never know which category your going to fall into.
So stop what you doing and enjoy today.
It may be all you have.

:*: In Memory Of Baby Gannon :*:

1 comment:

Mari Wolfe said...

OMG I am so sorry to hear about that baby. That has been my biggest fear to date..SIDS... gahhhhh. I am glad that you wrote this because we all need to take a moment everyday and love on all of our kids, because they grow away from our bosom just a little more everyday. Keep up the packing, I always do better shovin shit into boxes the last day! ;)