Here's an oldie, but goodie.
Back in March 2008, when my oldest was in Kindergarden, My daughter came home from school. She told me about how hard she worked on a project and then proceeded to give me a sales pitch about the price to keep the artwork, and the deadline in which to pay it. When I asked her why she was talking that way she informed me the teacher had them practicing said sales pitch during art time. I contacted the school and was pretty much blown off. I later found out other parents were also annoyed by the whole ordeal, however, they lacked the balls, time, want, etc. to follow up with the school and/ or Original Works. Fortunatly, I'm a stay at home mom with plenty of pent up anger. haha
The following is a letter I sent to Lake Murray School and Original Works.
March 31, 2008
Dear Original Works and Lake Murray Elementary School,
Today my daughter came home and presented me with the lovely magnet she made in art. She was very proud of her work, then she informed me that we could only keep her art work, IF I sent her back to school with $5.50, then she handed me a packet.
Now several things strike me as WRONG at this point.
1. Why is my daughter creating art to sell during school hours without my consent.
2. Why is the school endorsing the use of school time to create art to sell?
3. Why has my child been told all about the sale? This was sent via my child to sell to me, she had even been told the price and the guidelines as far as if I did not purchase it that it had to be returned.
4. Original Works Pamphlet reads as follows “fostering children’s creativity and self esteem since 1989” else where it reads “ Focus on creativity - memorialize your child’s creativity and foster their self esteem” Since it’s repeated twice on two different pamphlets I’ll assume it’s a big part of why this type of project is condoned in a public school setting.
I’d like to know HOW this is fostering my daughter’s self esteem? This magnet costs about 50 cents to make, yet it is $5.50. Further more I did not consent for her art to be used to create something to sell, nor did I consent the use of what should be LEARNING time to make such a product. Where is the self esteem built if I decide NOT to purchase MY Daughter’s artwork?
Of course she was upset at the idea of having to return it, I suspect this is part of why so many parents might purchase the magnet. It’s a good little scam based on parental / child emotion, but still a scam none the less, and a very despicable one to see the public school backing.
5. Your Flyer also reads “ The proceeds for this program will be used for: art materials and supplies. Hmmmm, really? Because I provided art materials and supplies for my child, I also paid the fee’s for such items before school even began, I also pay a nice amount out of my taxes, and last but not least not a single week has passed since my daughter started school where she has not come home with a flyer for a fundraiser of some sort. I do understand the need for these fundraisers and have never complained about them, I even contributed to some, however those ones were taking place after school hours and did not exploit a Childs artwork or the use of school time.
Over all the bottom line is I send my daughter to school to learn, not to make items to sell or be taught a sales pitch. Strictly to learn. My child will NOT participate in ANY sale related activities with out my express written consent from here on out.
I am very much disappointed in both the school and Original works for exploiting Kindergartners for their own gain.
I am going to “foster” my daughter’s self esteem by teaching her that this kind of sweat shop like behavior is unacceptable.
I WILL pay the $5.50 for the magnet. After all she is so very proud of her had work and I would not want to break her heart, an idea I’m sure Original Works and LMES is well aware of. So I will pay the ARTIST, Layla Nieland, $5 and Original Works $.50 for their supplies.
Original works did not have consent to take or reproduce my child’s art.
This is not about the cost of the magnet, this is about the use of my child during school hours for a profit. Fund raisers should be an after school activity, and parents should be notified in advance.
Do NOT send me a bill, If LMES shares any of my personal information with Original Works I will be contacting the local media.
If LMES uses my child to send me a bill via my 6 year old or her back pack I will be contacting the Local Media. I think this would be by far the most tactless way of communicating but since they have stooped this low to sell a product I certainly wouldn’t put it past them to bill me via a child.
I also find it very odd that I have been told I am the only one that has complained, however I have spoken to several other mothers that were just as upset as I am at the use of their child for profit. I find the lack of concern from the school on this subject very concerning.
I’m not sure what other parents priorities are, but mine is the education of my daughter, If LMES kindergarten classes dedicate this much time towards coloring and sales then maybe my daughter should be put into a class where these things are not done. If this type of class doesn’t exist at LMES, I need to be made aware so that we can find alternative schooling.
Sincerely,
Crystal Wildey
803-356-****
To add fuel to the fire I got a letter the same freaking day saying they were going to talk to all the 5-6 year olds about molestation / rape.
Yet another letter went out. *sigh*
Dear Lake Murray Elementary School,
Attn : Tonya Floyd
Attn: Jennifer Adams
I received your notice about the upcoming safe/unsafe touches counseling. I very much appreciate being notified, however I feel this is a parental matter and not a school related one. We have already discussed this issue with my daughter and we are comfortable with her understanding of the subject. I will “refresh” her memory on the subject this week just so we are on the same page, however she will not be participating in any school related sessions on the matter. I do not want her singled out or embarrassed because she will not be participating, so if this matter can not be handled in a light hearted fun way for her, such as, she gets to go to the library with another teacher for example, then I would like to request her work be sent home in advance for the day(s) these talk(s) will be taking place.
Sincerely,
Crystal Wildey
803-356-****
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment