Friday, January 16, 2009

Conclusion...

Well, I'm back. I talked to the principal and I didn't need to get snarky, she told me there is A yard duty, somewhere out there. Just one though.
I told her that I'd personally volunteer to make sure that kids are NOT allowed to wander out into the parking lot and that they ALL make it to their classes and no one is left on the playground. I suggested making a flyer and passing it out to all the k-1st grade classes for volunteers, 15 minutes a day before the bell rings, 1 parent a day.
I thought it was a good idea but she said it was not necessary and she would "handle it."
I got the feeling if I asked "how exactly" the meeting would turn sour so I just said ok and left it at that.
We will see what happens. I most certainly will not be leaving Kaylee until I consistently see change.
After talking about the playground the principal brought up another subject. Kaylee's behavior.
When I enrolled Kaylee in school I neglected to tell them it's been suggested she has Aspergers / autistic like tendencies. I just didn't want her judged because of a label.
Turns out the principal and her teacher have come to that conclusion on their own anyway.
*sigh*
The principal told me that Kaylee rarely makes eye contact, her finger flicking, doesn't join in group activities, doesn't move her arms when she runs, and rarely speaks.
I just told the principal, "well she's nervous and shy."
I don't think she bought it but she didn't say anything more on it.
I have see their special ed classroom and I don't want Kaylee there, I think she would benefit from a normal setting, not special ed.
I am going to look into some after school physical therapy classes for her though.
Today after my meeting I stood outside Kaylee's class and watched her for awhile.
The difference in whats normal behavior for her and whats normal for other kids in her class is very obvious. They were all doing a good activity where they clap their hands and pretend to do things ( lock doors , climb, reach, etc ) All the kids are copying the teacher and repeating the words all smiling and excited....and then there's Kaylee, rubbing her silk shirt tag like always, and staring at her pants...completely absorbed in her own world.
It just about broke my heart.
I don't know what to believe anymore.