Friday, January 16, 2009

The Premeditated Failure of My New Years Resolution.

Last year it was brought to my attention that I can be ...welll...basically a bitch...lol
Apparently I can be condescending and I seem to oppose any authority.
SO I took it to heart, got my feelings hurt a little and made it my New Years Resolution to be nice and try to go with the flow.

Well 3 days ago I brought Kaylee to school...I never leave her until she goes inside because the playground has no yard duty, there's an open gate and a parking lot 10 feet from where a group of 5 year olds play. Stupid huh....
But instead of making a stink to the school I just watch my own kid and "shut up Crystal"
So the bell rings, the teacher opens the door and all the kids run around the side of the building where I can no longer see them to go inside. ( It's about a 3 foot just in the wall...you can see the playground if you step out the door ) Kaylee, who is the size of a 3 year old, btw, is tagging along behind a ways, but running as fast as she can.
At this point I figure she's with her teacher and go to back up....in the back seat I spot her jacket...whoops!
So I park, get her jacket, unload Isaiah and Scarlett and walk over to her classroom.
Guess who is outside shivering and crying..Kaylee.
She was knocking on the door but no one heard her, and she's WAY too small to be seen through the window...I don't think a normal sized Kindergartner could be seen from inside!
So I knock on the door, the teacher opens it and I very polietely explain what happened, she basically blows me off. She says " oooohhh really? well come on in Kaylee" and then turns and walks away. I felt very disregarded. Like it was no big deal to lock a kid out...the late bell hadn't even rung yet, the door should of been open!
I resist the urge to cause a scene....remembering my Resolution and all.

Next day I arrive, let the kids out and sit in the car. Two kids wander into the parking lot while I'm there. They look about 5 and 7. Once they figure out their mom had left they wander back to the playground. I'm sitting in the car getting antsy...I want to storm into the office and demand to know why the hell these little kids aren't being watched!
I would think having a few HUNDRED children running around would warrant at LEAST 1 yard duty to stand by the gate and make sure these kids stay where their parents leave them.
I'm amazed that 5 year old are allowed to get off the bus and wander around a parking lot with no one else saying HEY THIS ISN'T COOL!
Anyway, Back to the playground, Kaylee is playing, bell rings, all the kids run to the door, Kaylee is running as fast as she possibly can behind them.
After she goes around the corner I get the babies out of the car and walk to the door to make sure she got in.
Guess who I see standing outside crying.
Kaylee.
I bang on the door and watch the teacher as she is yelling at a boy for throwing a tantrum.
I stand and bang for about 3 full minutes and no one even looks at the door.
So I go put all the kids back in the car and drive around the corner to the office.
Unload all the kids, go into the office as the late bell rings.
I explain to the receptionist what happened over the last two days.
She can tell I'm clearly P.O.ed, but I remember not to be "condescending" or threatened to homeschool...after all no need to go against the grain right!
So she brings me down to the classroom, and I tell the teacher what happened...Again...
Once again she pretty much blows me off. Not looking me in the eye, turning away while I'm talking to her...etc.
She asks why Kaylee just doesn't wait by the door.
I tell her, I can't see her from the parking lot, and not only that all the other kids are playing so she'd be left out.
She changes to the subject to WHY I'm waiting anyway.
So I explain how I don't leave my kids unless I know an adult is watching them.
She looks at me like I'm from another planet. and says "why"
At this point I'm completely dumbfounded as to why anyone would think this is an odd concept, however remembering my resolution i take a deep breath and very calmly explain that I think the parking lot is dangerous and ANYONE can walk on campus and walk off with my daughters, there is no adult watching them, and thats not ok for me, so I wait and watch from the car.
She tells me "that can happen anywhere, besides I'm out there everyday."
Holding my tongue at this point was VERY hard for me, because #1 no it can not happen anywhere because I don't dump my kids unsupervised just anywhere and #2 I've been "watching" for 2 weeks and she has not sat out there and watched the children ONCE!
However I didn't say that...I held my tongue and instead said " well Kaylee is pretty tiny, and she can't run that fast, we are here everyday on time, so can you just hold the door a bit longer for her? She's always just a few seconds behind the other kids but that door is heavy and shuts so fast, and once it's shut she is locked out.
The teacher says she will hold the door for her and she will also make sure to be out there at least 5 minutes before the first bell.
Sounds good to me. The teacher walks away, I apologize to the secretary for inconveniencing her and I leave.

Cut to today.
This morning I arrive 5 minutes early as planned yesterday.
No teacher outside.
I let Kaylee and Layla out, Layla goes to her yard, Kaylee to hers...and I wait.
About 3 minutes before the bell the teacher does come out, however she went to the parking lot to get something from her car. A little boy from her kindergarten class runs after her into the street. She never saw him until he had FULLY crossed a very busy street.
Then she walked back to the yard and went back inside.
What happened to our agreement?!!
A minute later the bell rings, all the kids run, Kaylee as fast as she can lagging behind, and boom, she falls, HARD.
I leave the kids in the car ( locked) and go to her, another parent gets to her before me and is trying to comfort her....the teacher is no where to be found, all the kids are now inside.
I'm comforting Kaylee and I notice blood on her hands, she's holding her side, I lift up her shirt and there's about a 1 inch gash, not a scrape, a gash.
The other woman says she will go get the nurse for me, Kaylee immediately screams NOOOO!
I tell the woman it's ok I'll bring her and thank her for holding her until I got there.
I look over Kaylee's cut and once wiping away some blood I see it doesn't need stitched or anything crazy, just a barbie bandaid will do.
I walk back to the car and get the kids, Then bring Kaylee to her class and explain what happened.
Once again I'm completely blown off, the teacher actually laughs when I tell her what happened and says "gee how did all the other kids get in so fast"
I resist the urge to scream "because they are all TWICE HER SIZE BITCH"
and instead just tell her Kaylee doesn't run very fast and she fell, so it took a little while longer to get here.
I give Kaylee a hug and kiss and tell her I'll see her at 12.
I leave, and I as I drive how I think about my "New Years Resolution"
I don't like being blown off, my children ignored, knowing a wrong situation is WRONG and doing nothing about it.
I think I can be over the top sometimes, I'll admit that, but being over the top gets results. If I'm "condescending" to call someone on what I believe to be BS, then so be it.
I will make a conscious effort this year to be nicer when the situation is right, However if sticking up for my children and doing what I feel is right makes you think I'm just being oppositional to authority or just being a "bitch" then so be it.
I'm getting ready to leave, because at 12pm I'm planning a surprise meeting with the school.
If it's ok by them to leave a bleeding child all alone on the playground and no one notices then maybe they need someone to go off on them.
I wouldn't want anyone's child to sit alone crying, but if nothing changes then it damn sure won't be mine who is put in the position again.

3 comments:

mommy of a full house said...

I'd video tape some of this crap & take it to the school board. Tell them if they don't fix it you will be putting them on tv for failure to protect your child . This deserves getting mad !be

Alyssa said...

I'd be doing the exact same thing. Go off on their asses. There needs to be a playground aid outside at all times that children are out there. PERIOD.

That's really sad. I wouldnt be half as nice as you.

gnmiranda said...

OMG! *JAW DROP...
That is insane! I am ticked off for you!!! That woman needs to be smacked upside her freaking head! You have every right to be angry!!!