Friday, March 13, 2009

Told ya so...

Well I went to the meeting with Kaylee's teacher the other day. I guess Kaylee has barely spoken since starting school about 2 months ago. The teacher said she speaks so rarely that the only thing she could recall her saying is "K", When she was asked repeatedly what letter her name starts with. I explained to the teacher that Kaylee is shy and prefers quiet calm settings...hardly what you get in a typical K classroom! Her teacher was actually quite understanding and said she has noticed that and tried to keep the area around her a bit calmer, she also tries to remember not to shout over the kids to quiet down because she noticed Kaylee would jump and look around the room scared.
Now with all that said I bet half of you are wondering why I don't take her out of that environment if Kaylee is the type of kid to be upset by it. Well, because she LOVES school. She can't wait to leave every morning, if she wasn't so happy to go then I'd homeschool her until I could get her into a charter school, but for now she is doing great.
They did assign Kaylee an "aid". This person comes in everyday and works with Kaylee for awhile....it was either that or go with the kids who ride the short bus....uhhh NO.
She'll take the aid.
The teacher said she thinks Kaylee is really smart, despite her not talking she can watch her and see her figure out things on her own.
She gave me a sheet of paper, which is the "test" they use for the mid/end of the year.
She said she said Kaylee wouldn't answer a single question and since most of the test requires a reply to the teacher she couldn't "grade" her. So she sent it home with us and said if she still isn't talking by the end of the year then maybe I could do the test with her and send in a video to be graded. The principal and school councelor are still convinced Kaylee belongs in another class and have labeled her...however the teacher seems to backed off a bit since Kaylee said "K" lol
So over all Kaylee is doing great. She may not talk at school but at home her "test" shows she is at or Above grade level, which is great considering she has caught up or exceeded the kids who have been there since august of last year! I suspect by the end of the year she is going to leave them in the dust....speaking or not. Hey Einstein didn't speak until he was 3, and when he finally did I suspect he was like Kaylee....it's not necessary to speak to your peers while they are having burping contests and screaming at each other...so why do it?!

No comments: