Sunday, May 3, 2009

Allergies are for sissies.

When Kaylee was about 2 years old she ate a bowl of clam chowder. Shortly after her lips swelled. I mentioned it at her Dr's appointment and the Dr. quickly wrote down "Severe Seafood Allergy" in her chart and told me never to let her have Seafood again. If she did her airway could swell shut and she could die.

50 MILLION Americans claim to have an allergy of some sort. You would be hard pressed to find a single classroom in America without at least 1 child who is "deathly allergic" to peanuts.
I, Myself, as a child was warned if I was ever stung by a bee to dial 911 immediately because we have a family history of severe reactions. I was stung at 11 years old on my foot and my entire leg swelled.
A few rounds of steroids and a day in the hospital left me terrified of all stinging insects.
My body had reacted just as I was told it would.
At 23 I was stung again...I honestly didn't care much. I was at my mother's house and I knew if I told her she would over react, so I ignored it....it got a little red, but nothing else happened.

I do believe there are some REAL allergies out there, however, I also believe many kids often out grow a MILD allergy...or never had them in the first place.
What I DO believe, is many parents feel the need to make their child "special."
Munchhausen by Proxy in it's mildest form?? Maybe. I'd venture to say I really do believe so. I'd like to invite all these kids over for a sleep over and hand out peanut brittle...lol

My brother Kyle was my mother's last child. She had her tubes tied and almost immediatly regretted it. She hovered over him as a baby, if he so much as sneezed she scheduled a Dr. appointment. They could never find anything wrong with him until he started getting older. By 18 months old he had a whole slew of allergies. Mold, dustmites, mildew, pet dander, pet hair, pollen, grass,....basically his entire world was toxic. Shortly after the "diagnosis" he started wheezing, by age 2 he was on twice daily nebulizer treatments for his "severe asthma" He grew up as "the sickly child" Of course my mother coddled over him for many years and treated him like a baby as long as she could. Once it was clear he was no longer a baby, not even a little boy, she lost interest. Shortly after she lost interest, his symptoms disappeared.

My kids have had some freak reactions to several things, some of them even considered "severe reactions." A day at church in which oatmeal creme pies were handed out ended up warranting a 911 call for breathing difficulty followed by 2 days of hives and wheezing.
A trip to the pediatrician, and later an allergist, comfirmed that there was no medical reason for the reaction. Surprised? My guess is the person watching my child freaked out over what she thought was an allergic reaction and got him SO spun up his body reacted. By the time I showed up an ambulance was in route, he was hyperventalating, while a woman was shreeking "breathe" and rubbing his back.

Scarlett is now 8 months old and eating just about everything we eat.
I don't follow the list of "okay" "not okay" foods because frankly, I think it's a load of crap.
Now I think there are certian things that baby is too young to digest...but I don't withold eggs because I'm affraid of "an allergy"...I don't withold nibbles of bleu cheese because I'm afraid of listeria, I don't withold honey because I'm afraid of botulism....come on already! That peanut butter face is priceless, you gotta try it ;)
If I with held every life experience that had the slightest fraction of a chance of harming my baby we'd never move an inch.
As long as my baby can digest it, and it's good for her...well then we are eating it.
She doesn't eat corn or carrots because MOST infants have a hard time digesting it...thats why you still see it in their poo ;)
According to some Dr's all this early exposure to "no-no foods" means she is going to DEVELOP allergies later in life....haha
really?
Well gee how did humans evolve thus far without a Dr. telling them that the food they were feeding thier infants was dangerous?! Do you think in cultures where the main diet is seafood they have an exeptionally high rate of seafood allergies? Hmmm all that early exposure doesn't seem to hurt them.
Must be why the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has changed its tune, because studies show that these delays probably don't help keep allergies from developing. Some Dr.s now even go as far to say that the lack of introduction can trigger food allergies.
So back to what I was saying...why do parents listen to other people about what is best?
Because your Dr. has an opinion??? Not good enough...at least not for me.

Kaylee had some clam chowder tonight...and guess what, .....she's just fine.
I'm not the least bit surprised.

No comments: